I've been formatting my PC, and while looking at the "favorite links" I had saved, I found an interview I did to Erin Simms, the girl who was cast as Maya in PRLG and then quit.
Maybe it is unseen for some of you, and may find it interesting. Here it is!!
Hi, finally Erin answered my questions, so now you can check out this interview with the original girl who was cast as Maya, the Yellow Galaxy Ranger. Enjoy!
INTERVIEW WITH ERIN SIMMS
Hello Erin. Thank you for the interview! Let’s talk about you.
1. When and where was Erin Jennifer Simms born?:
I was born in Montreal, December 18, 1976
2. What are your hobbies?:
Snowboarding, tennis, singing and hanging with my amazing girlfriends.
3. What are your goals in life?:
To continue acting and singing.
4. Which food do you enjoy the most?:
5. And drink?:
6. As an actress, you surely have an all-time favourite movie. Which one is it?:
7. And for all the bachelors out there…are you single or married?
Life as an actress
So, you became famous as an actress by playing Morgan McKnight in the first season of “Student Bodies”.
1. Where and when did you study drama?
I studied at my high school as well as Aaron Speiser's studio in California.
2. What made you decide to become an actress?
I loved theater in high school and a casting agent came to see me there. I had no idea I could actually do this as a profession.
3. Who are your influences in the acting world?
Anyone who is fearless in what they do.
4. Tell us about your roles on tv shows, movies, commercials…
It's all on IMDB but “Student Bodies” was the most significant role of my life. It was a full time gig and it brought me into the acting world officially.
(these are photoshop manipulations)
I, as an international Power Rangers fan, found about you when there were some rumors about you being the first girl chosen as Maya, the Yellow Galaxy Ranger, in 1999’s “Power Rangers Lost Galaxy”. “Student Bodies” never arrived to Spain, so thanks to PR I’ve met you. Let me ask some questions about it.
1. How did you find out they were searching for a new Ranger?
My agent called with the audition.
2. Why did you decided to go for the role?
I had just moved to LA and was 100% willing to audition for anything that came up.
3. Did you know anything about your character before the audition?
You get a basic breakdown of the character and the script you will have to audition with. Approximately 2 scenes.
4. Was she called Maya? Did she have a lastname?
I don't think so…Just Maya from the jungle!
5. How many auditions did you have to pass to get selected and what did you have to do?
I believe there were 3 and I had to do some gymnastics. I did back flips down the aisle of the audition waiting room. That was the best part as I was a competitive gymnast growing up.
6. After being chosen, did you get some training?
Yes, we got to train with all the martial artists that do the stunt work. It was incredible!
7. Any photoshoots or screen test? Nope.
8. Did you met the other Rangers?
Only once we were all cast-on the first day of work.
9. Any other memory about the process?
It was really exciting. Anytime you are getting a part you are seriously thrilled!
10. Why did you leave?
It's really hard to explain so I will leave it unanswered. But I can say I regret not continuing on the show.
11. Did you get fanmail or something related with PR after people knew you were the first actress selected for the role?
Not that I know of, but I moved to Toronto shortly after so it may not have found me. And well, years ago, yours!
12. Have you ever watched the show before and after auditioning?
I hadn't really seen it before, but checked it out after.
13. Would you like to work in the series if they called you now?
14. So, you said you regret not staying after seeing PR is still a success to this day. Did you meet your replacement, Cerina Vincent?
I bumped into her at some other auditions, she seemed like a really nice girl and a great actress. I regret having lost my focus with acting for that brief period of time.
15. Do you have any pic from the times, or even pictures with the actual Yellow Ranger suit?
I did at some point. I have some behind the scene shots in an album. It was really amazing to be on that show. The sets were great and being outside doing stunts was absolute heaven!
Recently, you published your first LP called “Army In My Head”, which is really great and we can purchase it from your Myspace, www.myspace.com/erinsimms. Let’s move on to your singing career.
1.Have you studied music? When and where?
I never studied but joined a band in Toronto and fell in love and haven't stopped singing since.
2. Do you play any instrument?
I play enough guitar to write my own songs but wouldn't dare play live-yet!
3. When and why you decided to become a singer?
I started singing in cafes in LA and that led me to the Toronto band. Around 23-24.
4. Who are your musical influences?
So many, but mainly Stevie Nicks and Bonnie Raitt. 2 insanely amazing voices and women.
5. Tell us about Canteen.
Canteen was the best time of my life so far. An amazing band, amazing music, and these were my best friends and we all lived together. It was heaven.
6. Tell us about High-Five.
High five is a corporate band. I never knew you could make real money and have a full time job as a cover band singer. Once I figured that out, I did it for approximately 4 years. It was great.
7. Tell us about Erin Simms, the solo singer.
That was born out of necessity. I would have loved to continue on as Canteen but the other members had other plans. They are now married with babies. Not a bad trade! So, I picked up the guitar and did it myself. What an incredible experience song writing is. It really is everything musicians say it is. It fills you in ways you can only imagine until you do it.
8. What are your lyrics about?
At the time I wrote my EP, I was writing a lot about loss and the idea that while you keep waiting for what you want, you might completely miss what you have. Not a new concept, but you don't really get it until you actually feel it.
That was a really deep and meaningful message. So, now we are in February, 2009. Let’s take a look on the horizon.
1. What are your current and future plans?
I have begun to take acting more seriously again. I have done some commercials and signed with an agent in Toronto. With any luck you'll see me on a TV show soon!
2. I’ve just seen your ad of the Lotto, and you look great. So your greatest desire at the moment is to keep on being an actress?
Yes and you are my favorite fan!
Thank you very much for your time, Erin.
You can buy Erin's LP "Army In My Head" from her Myspace here:
Erin Jennifer Simms "Army In My Head
01. Stone on The Shore
02. If You Stayed
03. Hold You Down
04. The Space Between Us
05. Army In My Head
06. It's a Shame
07. Much Too Much
Pictures taken from Erin Simms myspace, websites and thanks to Melissa!