NBA officials now expect the Kings to play next season in Sacramento, league executives told The Times on Friday.
Whether the team, which was about to seek permission to move to Honda Center in Anaheim, stays in Sacramento beyond next season is yet to be decided.
Officials say it will depend on Sacramento-area governing bodies and businesses fulfilling Sacramento Mayor Kevin Johnson's pledges to the NBA relocation committee last week in New York, including construction of a downtown arena for the Kings.
Commissioner David Stern declined to compare the Sacramento and Anaheim packages — "That's for the committee to decide," he said — but confirmed the NBA's continuing interest in Sacramento's offer.
"Mayor Johnson made certain representations about community support that he had secured," Stern said from New York. "The committee thought it would be prudent to send an NBA task force out to Sacramento to verify those commitments.
"And that is now what's being done."
League officials agree that if Sacramento lives up to its pledges, committee members and NBA officials want the team to stay there long-term.
Kings co-owner Joe Maloof told the Associated Press that he is "as anxious as anybody" to see if Johnson can deliver.
"There's been no decision made," Maloof said. "As far as we're concerned, we're still looking at our options."
After a decade of failed negotiations for a new arena — with Stern washing his hands of the matter afterward — Sacramento politicians had lost credibility with the Maloofs and the NBA.
However, Johnson's new presentation with the I's dotted, the Ts crossed, the timetable specific and the funding appearing to be credible, things changed.
A league official called Johnson's presentation "amazing."
NBA officials agree that there is no problem with Anaheim's offer, or the area's suitability.
The problem is Sacramento's bid, which was big and, as far as the committee has found to date, solid. At that point, Anaheim became, as one league official put it, "immaterial."
Suggesting he remains skeptical, Maloof told the AP:
"I don't know that Kevin Johnson's meeting in New York swayed the NBA one way or another, but I think that the NBA next week is going to go into Sacramento to verify a lot of the promises Kevin Johnson made to the board.
"There were various sponsorship promises and a promise to show the board once and for all how a new arena not only will be planned, but financed."
Oklahoma City Thunder owner Clay Bennett, a member of the relocation committee, and NBA attorney Harvey Benjamin spent two days in Sacramento this week.
Local politicians received them like royalty, including Darrell Steinberg, the president pro tem of the State Senate, as well as Johnson, a former NBA star.