RangerCrew MediaSamurai CastMegaforce Cast
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Opinions on the Term Filler being used in the Fandom

I think filler is a word that needs to die in this fandom, and the one that's about Tokusatsu in general. These are not cartoon adaptations of Shonen Jump comics, nor are they similar. Power Rangers were made to have these types of episodes. It helps develope the characters, it helps develope the plot, it helps teach us new things, and to see how it affects their social-life.

Filler has become a word that people over use. Down to the point that Linkara called the set of episodes that could easily be called the Isis Megazord arc, filler. I am not going to be surprised when people start talking about how shows like Full House and Family Matters suck because they're nothing but filler.

In conclusion, I think filler needs to die because we are not watching some animated version of a Shonen Jump comic book, nor are we seeing anything similar to it.

Megaforce GO!
    People are going to have their own opinion and still use it.

Spirit of an elephant
    Well episodes like Lost and Found in Translation (A episode I think is humerous) Is filler in Dino Thunder. It really doesn't add to the overall arc to the story. Not to say some filler episodes are bad but they dont really do anything for the season.

Shows that don't have arcs (eg: Full House) ARE nothing but filler. There's nothing substantial about done-in-ones in terms of a storyline. Is it derisive? Sure. But most of PR's run of the mill episodes ARE filler. They're disposable, throwaway product. There aren't amazing, knock it out of the ballpark standalone episodes in most seasons of PR. This isn't The Honeymooners. Look at a season like Overdrive, where whenever one of the arcs isn't happening the show is just going through the motions. HELL YES that's filler. Its WRITERS knew it was filler. God, Greg and Bruce were honest SPD was structured so ALL YOU HAD TO SEE were the premiere and the finale. THAT WAS THEIR GENUINE INTENTION.

That Lost and Found in Translation is an episode if I can recall was made for some Japanese special on Jetix.

If it weren't for those epiosdes, the seasons would be too short and they would be boring because the characters would have no personality nor would they be interesting at all. Those episodes make us learn more about the character, how the plot is progressing, and ways it affects them socially.

^ ... what the hell are you talking about? Dino Thunder was under on its footage quota, so they did an all-footage episode by redubbing an Abaranger episode in the style of Night Flight Dynaman.

Curse You!!!
    And even then, filler episodes DON'T advance character arcs or flesh them out. They're there to (you guessed it) fill airtime. Thus they are filler. They are padding the season. So many of these narratives could have entire arcs removed with no appreciable difference to the story.

And there's nothing wrong with that. Stop treating it like a stigma. I like filler. They're a chance to take a break from the plot and the non-stop character building.

Manga has filler too. Stuff like the shonen jump stuff you mentioned couldn't keep going without it. That's why entire chapters are dedicated to doing one move then talking. They're throwing in filler so the fight lasts longer and they can put off ending an arc, like Obito's current flashback arc.

Get Down crazy
    At least super samurai is getting its filler episodes during the season instead of at the end a la samurai

Super Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by imjetli View Post
    I think filler is a word that needs to die in this fandom, and the one that's about Tokusatsu in general. These are not cartoon adaptations of Shonen Jump comics, nor are they similar. Power Rangers were made to have these types of episodes. It helps develope the characters, it helps develope the plot, it helps teach us new things, and to see how it affects their social-life.

Filler has become a word that people over use. Down to the point that Linkara called the set of episodes that could easily be called the Isis Megazord arc, filler. I am not going to be surprised when people start talking about how shows like Full House and Family Matters suck because they're nothing but filler.

In conclusion, I think filler needs to die because we are not watching some animated version of a Shonen Jump comic book, nor are we seeing anything similar to it.
    This is a pointless post about something stupid.... Filler generally means episodes that don't develop or progress the story in any way. You also got that wrong - Any episode which develops characters and plot is not filler but things like "Monster of the week" and nothing else IS filler.

If the Isis Megazord arc only introduced a new Megazord, and it seemed pointless or didn't further the story (other than "let's try this new formation") - It was mostly filler.

A lot of people do misuse the word but seriously, it's nothing.

Banned
    The way I see it, if a show has a long-term story arc, episodes that can be missed ARE filler. Obviously a show like Full House which doesn't really do story-arcs its just redundant to call episodes "filler"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast